The Northern part of India is a gigantic haven hidden among the Himalayan Mountains and massive arid regions. Since the dawn of Indian history, scholars wrote prose and verses in honor of the mountains and the regions. It’s also the region where most of the Indian myth and legends took place. Besides, India was invaded by many foreign rulers who came through the northern frontier. Thus, the Northern part of India is not only stunningly scenic, but a place to explore Indian history and the diverse culture. All these factors make sure that there are a plethora of tourist places in North India.
The Himalayan Mountains encompasses Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and part of Uttar Pradesh. Rajasthan is a huge desert, while Punjab and Haryana are not deserts but yet dry lands. In these regions, there are hundreds of tourist places in North India. And, tourist destinations in the Northern part of India are very dissimilarly divided by geographical terrains.
An important feature one must note before traveling to these regions is that, tourist seasons are divided into two halves i.e. summer and winter months. The best time to visit tourist places in north India like Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Haryana is during the winter months since in the summers they can literally sizzle with tremendous heat. While if you’re looking for a weekend getaway in the summers, you should check out Jammu & Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh which have some famous hill stations in north India. Tourist season picks up from Late April and last till early September, which is during the summer months.
With such an abundance of north India tourist places, it’s common to find travelers making a beeline for north India from various parts of the world. Israel, South Korea, Japan, German, Britain, Poland and France are some of the few countries from which there is a regular tourist influx into north India tourist places. Besides, countries of both North and South America along with other European countries and Australia are slowly picking up holidaying in India. Most of the travelers are young people who are fresh college and university graduates or people who takes career break and travel around the world. They are also mostly backpackers who travel in group and love adventure and outdoor activities.
So the question remains, which are the north India tourist places that you should go to? Not to worry cause we have compiled a list of such places. So don’t wait and check it out!
- Himachal Pradesh: Popular holiday destinations in Himachal Pradesh are Shimla, Manali, Dharamsala, Dalhousie, Chail, Kullu, Kasauli, Ballarpur, Chamba, Nahan, Sangla and Kalpa, Kangara, Kinnaur, Mandi, Sarahan, Parwanoo, Lahul, Parvati valley and etc.
- Jammu & Kashmir: In the hills and valleys of Jammu & Kashmir, Nubra Valley, Sanasar, Batote, Mansar Lake, Katra, Akhnoor, Amar Mahal, Harwan, Kud, Patnitop, Ladakh, Jhajjir Kotli, Jammu valley, Kashmir valley, Kargil, Zanskar, Leh, Sonmarg etc are some very touristy places to visit.
- Uttarakhand: In Uttarakhan places such as Rishikesh, Auli, Chamba, Haridwar, Bageshwar, Binsar, Chaukori, Kausani, Dehradun, Nainital, Pauri, Harsil, Mussoorie, New Tehri, CharDham, Rudraprayag and Ranikhet etc are famous tourist spots.
- Uttar Pradesh: Some very famous tourist destinations in Uttar Pradesh are Agra, Allahabad, Jhansi, Lucknow, Sarnath, Varanasi, Sravasti, Kushinagar, Braj Bhoomi, Ayodhya, Bithoor, deogarh, Kanpur, Kapilvastu etc
- Punjab: In Punjab, Mansa, Amritsar, Faridkot, Ferozepur, Ropar, Moga, Patiala, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Hoshiarpur, Fatehgarh Sahib, Wagha Border, Kurukshetra, Anandpur Sahib, Jallianwallah Bagh and bathinda are very famous tourist destinations.
- Rajasthan: In the desert of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Pushkar, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Ajmer, Alwar, Bundi, Jhalawar, Kota, Mount Abu, Sariska and Ranthambore are very famous places. Rajasthan is one of the states that receive the highest number of tourist population in India.
- Haryana: Tourist places in Haryana are Hissar, Panipat, Kurukshetra, Thaneswar, Pehowa, Jyotisar, Rohtak, Rewari and Karnal etc.
Out of these tourist places in north India, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir are mostly known as adventurous and extreme sports destinations. Mountain climbing, rock climbing, mountain biking, white river rafting, paragliding, mountain safari, Skiing, Himalayan Yak skiing, trekking, fishing, camping are some activities you can look up in the region. In Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh historical scenery, religious aspects, monuments and forts are famous. Meanwhile, Uttarakhand is a state where travelers will find a wide range of destinations and choice of activities. Uttarakhand is famous for religious aspects, Yoga, safari, white river rafting, rock climbing, skiing, trekking, camping, fishing, biking and etc.
So the fact remains, North India is a region which is filled with a wide array of diversity. From snow capped mountains to sand laden deserts, it’s all there in North India. All you have to pack your bags and make a journey to discover some amazing tourist places in north India. Head over to our weekend getaways and start travelling today.