Marriage is an institution created by man. But, verbose says, marriages are signed in heaven. How true! Many people consider marriages as sacred or obsequious events because it’s the day when we embark on a new phase in life. And honeymoon is a period of traditional practice, when couples get to spend their first days together.
Every honeymoon has to be perfect. However, to make honeymoon a remarkable trip, selection of destination is the first and foremost step. Also, while planning a honeymoon trip one needs to consider the budget, distance and the activities. Considering honeymooning places in India, there are over hundreds of destinations. Generally, people prefer to stay away from big cities and urban areas in search of solitary and privacy.
However in a large country like India, it’s hard to find the best honeymoon places in India. We have saved you the trouble of searching for the best honeymoon places in India and put them all together in this blog post. Furthermore, we have the honeymoon destinations categorized into three regions, the beaches, the hill stations and the deserts. So irrespective of the type of honeymoon destination you are looking for our list of the best honeymoon places in India includes something for every type of honeymooner.
Beaches: Sun, sand and the waves. It’s the perfect destination for many honeymoon couples. If those waves appeal to you, then you’re in luck. India is home to some of the top rated beach honeymoon destinations which are situated in Pondicherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Goa and Kerala.
- Pondicherry: If you love water sports or area looking for a place with a slower pace of life (compared to the city) then Pondicherry, a former French colony is a great honeymoon destination in India. Renting a bicycle to tour the town or jive into the salty water, all add up to an unforgettable experience. Also with an abundance of restaurants to choose from, that romantic candlelight dinner will not be too far away. The best time to visit Pondicherry is between September and March.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands: these “off the beaten path” islands might not be first on your list, but they are absolutely a haven for people who love water sports and are the adventurous type. With a plethora of activities ranging like island camping, scuba diving, trekking, snorkeling, swimming, sun bathing and water skiing, the Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands are sure to make your dream come true. Apart from the adventure, these islands have a very cozy ambiance perfect for newlyweds. One can also simply relax and enjoy the scenic beauty and revel in some much needed peace and quiet. The best time to visit these islands is between the months of September and March.
- Kerala and Goa: Kerala and Goa are very traditional honeymoon destinations. Boat house, fishing, ayurvedic massages, backwater tour, Jeep safari, bamboo rafting, elephant ride are what exotic Kerala has to offer. Goa the “land of beer and sand” also has numerous delights to offer. If you want a calm relaxing honeymoon, drive down to South Goa. The road runs along the coast and is one of India’s most picturesque roads to drive on. The calm sea, sun, sand, enchanting resorts under the coconut trees and the shacks on the beach are larger than life and sure to give you memories lasting a lifetime. Otherwise, in North Goa one can enjoy the water sports and night clubs or just go karaoke. Kerala and Goa are easily one of the best honeymoon destinations in India, but can be a wee bit crowded in winters. So make sure you book early. .
Mountains: Till now we have covered the Best honeymoon destinations in India “beaches” category. But for Couples who enjoy the feel of the fresh and chill air, we have listed options for a honeymoon in the mountains. Hill stations might look similar, but every hill station town has a unique ambiance and vibe to offer.
- North India: Honeymoon destinations are Shimla, Chail, Dharamsala, Badrinath, Almora, Kangra, Dalhousie, Kufri, Kasauli, Manali, Nainital, Mussoorie, Rankihet, Zanskar, Srinagar, Renuka, Sonamarg etc. Holding hands and strolling in the pine and oak groves and apple orchards are magical moments. The time to visit these hilly honeymoon destinations are during the summer months. But, if you want white blankets of snow and snug with a mug of coffee, winters are perfect timing.
- East India: Honeymoon destinations in the eastern hills of India are mostly untouched beauties. Some celebrated places are Mirik, Darjeeling, Shillong, Tawang, Kalimpong. However, if you are adventure lover, try places in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh and explore the wilderness. Summers are the best time to visit, unless you are looking to be covered by snow.
- South Indian: Hill stations in Southern parts of India are completely different from hill stations in the Northern and Eastern parts of India. Places you can look up are Aruku Valley, Coory, Anantagiri Hills, Coonoor, Horsley Hills, Idukki, Devikulam, Kotagiro, Munnar, Ooty, Wayanad, Yercaud and Kodiakanal. These places are pleasant throughout the year, except for the monsoon months. With clouds coming though your cottage window, misty weather, lush greenery and pitter patter raindrops, the recipe for a great honeymoon destination gets even better.
- West India: Moving to hill stations in the Western part of India are Khandala, Matheran, Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala, Mount Abu, Panhala, Panchgani and Saputra are nice honeymoon destinations. Like the hill stations in the south, these destinations are pleasant throughout the year. But, if you travel during the summer months, anticipate the monsoon.
Deserts: if you don’t like being in the mountains or catch a sneeze every time that cold air surrounds you or it’s just the winter season, then you can just fly off to Rajasthan. Be in the desert and explore the majestic Rajasthan. Go for a camel safari or have a beautiful candlelight dinner under the stars, the options are plentiful. Yes we know it’s a bit out of the ordinary, but the royal hospitality Rajasthan is famed for makes it a worthwhile honeymoon destination
So to wrap it up, we know that a honeymoon is a special and once in a lifetime occasion. That’s why it’s important to pick a special place for your honeymoon. In our list of the best honeymoon destinations in India, we have tried to cover all the places which we think would be ideal for honeymooners. In case you have suggestions of your own, let us know in the comments section. Till then, happy holidaying and happy travelling.